Saturday, April 19

Implanon

Over the past few weeks, our lives and time schedules have turned upside down as Officer Hubster has worked the night shift. He comes home as I'm waking up and when I leave for work, he goes to bed. This topsy turvy schedule has caused me to miss my birth control pill, not just once or twice, but an astonishing FIVE times this month!

When Bridoodle was born, our doctor told us about Implanon. It's a birth control stick that they insert in your arm and it's not an abortifacient, like Mirena. (Mirena is an IUD and it prevents a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus.) Anyway, we thought it would be a good idea to get the stick implant, but wanted to wait until the Brimeister had finished nursing.

So, the time has come. The nurse called me Friday to talk about an appointment for next week. I'm just keping my fingers crossed (and my home testing kits handy), hoping that we're not already pregnant.

When we get ready to have another baby, the stick can be removed via a fifteen minute procedure and the hormones that it releases will dry up within two days.


2 comments:

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

I actually just had a Mirena put in almost two weeks ago. I did not have it done for birth control. Mine was completely done to keep my endometriosis in check. It is one of the recommended items for people with endo since the hormone is right in the uterus. Thanks to this it prevents almost all lining from forming (that is pretty much why a fertilized egg would not be able to implant). Let me tell you after the "fun" they had with the so called quick and easy procedure it better work.

Good luck with your procedure.

Joy said...

I am aware of abortifacients and I'm so glad you've found something that will work for you! I've never heard of Implanon! I hope it works well for you!!!