Monday, April 14

Sesame Chicken ... Hold the Spit Please

This evening our little family had dinner together at a tiny hole in the wall Chinese eatery. Bri and I sat at the table and she took her bottle while Hubster went to the counter and ordered our food. On most nights, it would be pretty boring to post about this event.

But there was one thing that set this evening apart from our normal family outings. Officer Hubster was in uniform and his patrol car was parked right outside. It was a really strange feeling. Almost like a spotlight was glaring down on our tiny family. We both huddled protectively around the baby. The people coming through the door had one of two automatic reactions. They either smiled at us like we were old friends or glared at us like we were terrorists. Even the man working the cash register treated us differently. He brought our food out to our table on a tray with a big goofy grin. Everyone else had to go back up to the counter when their order came up.

I could feel the tension swirling around us as people sat, waiting for their take-out orders. The cooks were yelling in angry Chinese voices behind me. Suddenly, our sweet family dinner seemed like a tiny raft amidst a turbulent ocean. I felt like we were making Officer Hubster a little too vulnerable. In the future, I think we'll do picnics in the park when we meet him for dinner. Neither of us really enjoyed being the center of so much attention.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean about eyes being on you when your husband is in uniform...being married to a Navy officer, I've experienced the same thing. It can be a little uncomfortable at first, but in time you'll get used to it and hold your head high because you're proud of your husband's service.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I know exactly how you feel :) My first date with my police officer was actually a quick lunch on a day he was working... I promise it does get a little bit easier, but it never feels completely normal. I think it's because he knows that he is representing something so much bigger than himself when he's in uniform, and just by being with him I feel like I have to be on my best behavior! I agree with the other post though, it definitely develops into pride :)

Joyous said...

You guys are celebrities now! But yeah, I agree, probably dinner somewhere else might give you less of a spotlight factor.

BTW - I LOVE your new layout :)