Wednesday, September 12

Beautiful Rain

I'm sitting with my laptop next to my kitchen window watching the rain come pouring down. The window is open by about 2 inches and the smell is just heavenly. Our dog is pacing around the house growling at the thunder but I love watching the water fall from the sky. It's refreshing. When I was younger I used to hate rainy days. It wasn't so much that I wanted to be outside. It was more that I craved the sunlight and felt moody whenever rain darkened the sky. I always tried to nap through rainstorms if possible.
I suppose I've become a grown up now because I see rain as free water for our front yard (which is very brown from the drought we've had all summer). My pregnancy this summer shifted our priorities a lot. I decided not to worry about watering the yard and instead my goal (according to my husband) has been to refrigerate the house. (Yes, honey, I turned the A/C off before I opened the windows.)
This seems like a perfect opportunity to bring in some spiritual parallel or something super wise but this evening I've got nothing extra to add. I'm content to just admire God's handywork.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I came to learn to love the rain for the beauty of the colors that it brings. Nature is always so beautiful after a rain. And even during a rain, the muted tones in all of Creation is just a form of subtle beauty. ( I also like the free water for my garden too!)

CityStreams said...

Yes! I know what you mean. It is beautiful. Thanks for helping us pick out a camcorder this afternoon. I made David promise not to videotape anything gross when I deliver :o)