Wednesday, May 7

Hubster's Schedule ... doesn't work for me ... yet

Officer Hubster has a very weird schedule. He works nights for two weeks and then he works days for two weeks and then it's back to nights again. By the time I get adjusted to his schedule, it changes. As a result, our laundry hamper is overflowing and I haven't kept a consistent sleep routine for over a month!

I think that this schedule will EVENTUALLY work for me, but I'm still adjusting to it. The weekends are the hardest part of it all. We haven't been to church together in five weeks because he was either working or Bridoodle was sick!

The best part about the night shift weeks, however, is the luxury of having the whole bed to myself! I'm a diagonal sleeper when given the choice, and it's nice to be able to spread out comfortably. And the best part about the day shift weeks, without a doubt, has to be the afternoon time where we get to play while everyone else is working! So, I'm not complaining, but I am still adjusting.

So what doesn't work for you? See what other people are dealing with over here at the "It Doesn't Work For Me" edition of WFMW.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to get used to the weird schedule in medicine, too. I imagine its kind of similar. But once you guys get in a routine(even if that routine is lack of a routine!), it gets easier. I promise! :-) Good luck adjusting!

Jodi said...

My DH has a crazy schedule. It's nights, then days, then who knows. We never know until the Saturday before it starts. I hate it,too, but I try to just look at the good stuff, like I get the bed to myself at least some of the time; I can watch what I want on TV; I'm not cooking as much. It still sucks, though! You will get used to it; it will just take time. Just try to stay on a consistent schedule yourself.

Nicol said...

That would be a hard schedule. My dh's schedule recently changed from a night shift to a day shift and I am loving it. You're right that it was fun to play while others working except when I had to work.

My dh is leaving for a business trip soon and this will be my first time home alone. How do you sleep when Officer Hubby isn't home?

Anne Elizabeth said...

That is a hard schedule. Hopefully you can get used to it, or it will change for the better. DH worked the night shift 4:00pm to 2:00am for over two years. It was awful we were like roomates.

Cindy said...

Thanks for commiserating on my car seat rant.

I can't relate to your husband's schedule (mine has a very consistent schedule), but I'm glad that you have found the bright spots in it! I have friends whose husbands are in law enforcement, and they say the schedule evens out after paying the dues in the early years. I hope it evens out soon for you!

Candace said...

It must be tough, esp with a little baby.
I imagine it's difficult for your hubby as well.
Hopefully, it will get better in time. I can't imagine it will always be like that.