Saturday, April 26

Decisions ... decisions ...

There are two cameras that I'm currently considering. I know that most of y'all are pros and you use DSLR or DLSR or whatever. Obviously, I'm an amateur. But I want to take nicer pictures and since we probably won't buy another camera for a very long time, it seems smart to buy a nice one this time. So, I'd love to hear your feedback right now. (This is a limited time offer. After I buy the camera, I don't want to hear about what I should have bought, okay?)

Here are the two choices:

Option A: Nikon Coolpix P5100 Black 12.1 MP Digital Camera

This is an advanced point and shoot camera. It doesn't have the fancy lens capabilities of DSLR. It has a nice sized image sensor. And too many mega-pixels but hey, this is America. Whaddya expect?

Price with shipping: About $200.00


Option B: Nikon D40 Kit Black 6.1 MP Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens

This camera is twice as heavy and much cooler looking. It comes with a lens that will auto focus, or manually focus and best of all - it has a remote! So I can be in some of the pictures without the hassle of a timer. The downside, I suppose, would be having less megapixels. My old point and shoot camera had more MP's than this one! I like to crop pictures for my blog header, etc. And it would stink to spend so much money only to get grainy pixelated photos, in the end.

Price with shipping: About $480.00



If you have better ideas or want to share a website that may help me, I'd love to have your feedback. I absolutely am not allowed to cannot spend more than $500. And I think that's pretty reasonable, for an amateur.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like my D40, but honestly, I still use my point-and-shoot (a Sony Cybershot DSC-W70 that I LOVE) for about a third of all my photos. I think for you, with a small baby and having to carry around a diaper bag still, you might find a smaller, lighter camera, that you can just stick in your bag or even in your jeans pocket, more useful. (And most digital cameras can be used with a remote--you might just have to buy it separately!)

Anonymous said...

I agree with "bethany actually". I LOVE my "big" camera, but the portability issue is a big one...it's nice to have one that's not to big and clunky. Especially if you don't need all the extras that the "big" camera gives you. I say for your purposes, the Coolpix is probably the better way to go.

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

I agree with what everyone else has said. I love JL's big fancy camera, but when heading out and about with the boys myself I love my more simple little camera. I still have not used all of the features on that and am quite happy with it.

Good luck making your decision.

Melissa said...

Hey! I have been lurking reading your blog for a while, I love seeing pics/hearing cute stories about your Bri-doodle. :-)

As for the camera, a small one is so convenient, but Micah LOVES his D40. He got one for christmas, after doing TONS of research. About the whole megapixel issue, here is a link to a good article about how more megapixels is not always better. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
The D40 takes incredible pictures, even in completely amateur hands, like mine.

Hope you're doing well, we should get together sometime!
-Melissa

Anonymous said...

I already told you my camera, which I love, but if I had to choose between these two, I'd choose the second one! If you're going to spend the money anyway, might as well get the best!

Veronica said...

To carry around with you a small camera rocks. However, I can tell a difference in the picture quality when I use my D40. I typically just lug around the big camera. You have choosen two Nikon's though and either way you are going to get great pictures. If it were me I would take the D40, but htat is just me. Good luck.

CityStreams said...

So, it's a tie, even between my readers! Half of you vote for the little camera and half of you vote for the big camera. I still don't know what to do!