In fact you could say I'm pretty much a novice. So I'm not 100% sure but I think my Brimeister may be teething. She's been drooling her way out of her clothes for the past week or so. And everything she can get in her mouth gets slobbered on. But even more importantly, her tongue has been riveted to the top of her mouth this evening. She's been keeping it over one specific spot on the right side. I'm betting a tooth will pop out of there soon. Got any advice for a newbie mom?
For more Works for me Wednesday tips visit Rocks In My Dryer
7 comments:
Motrin, if Bri can have it! Much better than Tylenol for teething. Hyland's teething tablets! Prayer, lots of prayer! :-)
Oh, and Bri might be getting a tooth, or it might be weeks or months away. I honestly thought Annalie was going to get a tooth any second, from the amount of drool and the way she chewed on everything, from about the age of five months on. She didn't get her first tooth till she was 14 months old! And then she got eight teeth within a few weeks.
My niece who is the same age as Bri is also doing the drool thing and chomping on everything. My SIL actually sees a tooth bud under the gum now.
I looked back the other day and JSL got his first tooth at 5 1/2 months. We saw the tooth bud with him for about a month before it actually cut. He is going to be 9 month old next week and is working on tooth #6 (possibly 7 and 8 too).
We give him Motrin when he is really uncomfortable along with the Hyland Teething Tablets that Bethany mentioned. We tried Tylenol early on, but he does not tolerate it well and well it comes flying back at us. He also likes to chew on cold toys that stay in the fridge.
Good luck and may the force be with you . . . teething is no fun for all involved.
C'est Moi
Yep. Sounds like teething.
We use Infant Tylenol or Motrin to take the edge off of the pain. My pediatrician recommended putting an itty bit of Hurricane gel on the gums as well. Hurricane is a topical anesthesia that our pharmacist keeps behind the counter. It provides instant relief by temporarily numbing the area. It's non-prescription but you just have to ask the pharmacist for it. If the teething gets out of control and you're desperate, you might was to see if you can locate some.
We only used it when our boys were miserable. Otherwise Tylenol or Motrin did the trick.
Hey,
I'm no expert parent either, but I have been through teething. The things that worked best for us were this teething toy it looks like a little necklace and has oval shaped beads on it. They have it in the baby section of Target. I would also get one of those really thin baby washcloths and wet it and put it in the fridge for a while then let her chew on that. She really seemed to like that best. Of course motrin and Tylenol too, we found that Motrin kept Rea up so we only used it during the day, and Tylenol at night.
A word of caution - Motrin is only for babies over 6 mths - please check with your Dr before using - there is a lot of contravercy around Motrin and children.
I will second what Bethany said- prayer (that the tooth with appear soon and you'll make it through teething), Hyland's teething tabs, and sometimes Tylenol. I also used Hyland's teething gel.
A big old peeled and cold carrot seemed to satiate my kids from time to time or chewing on cold, clean, dampened washcloth. They just LOVE to chew!
(currently living with 2 teething twins!)
Frozen bananas. Any time your bananas get too brown to eat, stick them in the freezer in a ziplock bag. Then, when baby's teething get one of those mesh feeders (see One Step Ahead's website), cut off a chunk, cut off the peel, then stick it in the mesh feeder. Be sure to take the baby's clothes off, because it stains like crazy. It's soft, cold, sweet, and healthy.
Amy @ http://prettybabies.blogspot.com
Post a Comment