I teach in a very VERY old school building. The plaster walls chip when you try to nail things up and the high humidity of our region causes double sided sticky tape to eventually peel off. Only half of the items I put up during summer pre-planning are still there. There are big holes where posters used to be. I've been pretty frustrated in the past as my posters have taken nose dive after nose dive. Nothing is more distracting to a class than a poster slowly bending off the wall.
A few weeks ago the department head for our county came to observe my teaching. After class that day we were discussing the catastrophe that is my classroom decor. She gave me a fabulous tip! She told me to use hot glue to put things up on the wall. I tried it today and so far I'm very impressed. Just make sure you remember to unplug the hot glue gun!!
For more Works for Me Wednesday tips go to
rocks in my dryer.
2 comments:
I did this for a couple of years as a teacher as well. The hot glue will work longer than sticky tack, but items will still fall off eventually. :) The good news is that the old glue is really fun to peel off...just really satisfying! And kids won't swipe it (like sticky tack) because it has no re-stick ability. :)
I have had a steady stream of glue guns for the past 21 years, and I have never thought of using them on the wall. You use them at school; would you use them at home to put up kids drawings? Does it damage the paint at all? I'll be trying it this weekend in the basement, but if it doesn't discolour the paint, I'll use the trust gun upstairs too! Thanks for an excellent tip!
Post a Comment