Friday, August 26

evolution

In the attempt to be more "artful" in my blogging, as well as to write about things close to my heart I've decided to tackle a rather controversial issue. First of all let me say that I believe in the Bible (as a literal piece of work not as a collection of thoughts on God) and that that belief gives me a foundation for how I see the world and it is not contradicted by science. I'm about to share how the things in the Bible and the things I've learned in school have shaped the way I believe about evolution [1]. You are more than welcome to offer your own beliefs and how they shape your opinion of this evidence. You're also welcome to point out where you see that my facts or logic are wrong according to your own belief system.

So far in medical school I've memorized (and subsequently forgotten) a stack of notes that measured close to three feet on the intricacies of the human body. It is absolutely amazing how complicated our bodies are. Anatomically speaking it's inconceivable that the 6,446,131,400 people in the world today all have the same basic layout. All of their muscles, arteries, nerves, bones and veins from their calcaneus to their parietal foramen are in the same general area with only minor variations. But digging deeper than that, it's astounding how the body actually works. Let me illustrate. Our bodies have a pump (the heart) that works for an average of 70 years without once taking a break or getting a tune up. Can you imagine a machine that could do that? What if everyone drove the same car for 70 years without it ever stopping ~ not to mention breaking down, or getting tuned up?!? The blood that the heart pumps has hemoglobin molecules in it that are specifically designed to carry O
2 and CO2 in the right quantities to enable gas exchange in the lungs. If by some chance you get a disease (such as COPD) that causes you to have respiratory acidosis meaning your blood's pH drops too low, then you have receptors that alert the kidneys. The kidneys then start excreting hydrogen ions to make the pH more basic and they also take on more bicarbonate buffer to neutralize the hydrogen ions that are left. Your kidneys return the pH to normal so that gas exchange continues to occur. All the systems are interrelated and work together in unison.

So the bottom line is it's extremely complex. And that's really just skimming the surface. I could talk about how nerves transmit signals, how the enzymes are made and then work to digest food in the gut or to carry out oxidative phosphorylation, how hormones dictate pubescent development, not to mention how energy is produced in enormous quantities daily, how
proteins are broken down and remade, how DNA is used to make everything from antibodies in your blood to taste bud receptors on your tongue and the cells in your eyes that let you read this page. It's mind-boggling.
The organization and efficiency of the body defy the theory of evolution. It's like saying
that you could get this house of cards from simply throwing decks of cards up in the air millions and millions of times [2]

In Genesis chapter 1 it shows the order that God created everything in. First came light, then water and land, then vegetation, then time/seasons, then
fish, birds, and livestock. Then he created man.

Now science has shown the remarkable resemblance between the genomes of fish, birds, animals and humans. This is interpreted as evidence of evolution. I however see this as evidence of creation. God took the same building blocks and created many different species. Just like an artist can take the same paints and create many different paintings, or a potter uses the same clay to make many different bowls, God took the same nucleotides and amino acids and made many different living things. Each time he made something new he made it a little better. He made plants that had to live on land. The He decided to make some things to live in the water. Then He thought it would be cool to make things that didn't have to live on land or in water. The point is that the similarities of different species do not negate the idea of intelligent design.

I have many more points but this is getting really long. So I'll end with this quote from one of my professors, but I may continue on this subject later.
"Privately, I'd say that if I found a watch on the ground - I would assume that it was designed by somebody, built by somebody, and put there for a purpose. Our bodies (as we learn in medical school) are vastly more complicated than a watch ... Don't get frustrated. Scientists used to think the world was flat."



Resources
[1]

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp
[2] http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/design/

2 comments:

bethany said...

I agree with your assertion that the complexity of creation is an indication that somebody made it. I also beleive that God created the world.

I also think, though, that those assertions are not neccisarily in conflict with the theory of evolution (although perhaps the ontology of evolutionism). Who is to say that God did not use evolution as the mechanism in creating everything? Would that take away from God's sovreignty, design, or power?

Stacy said...

I usually avoid topics on evolution, but I think that's the best explanation I've ever read. Thanks for sharing!